People of Hastings why do you want to vote for Amber Rudd?
Is it because her reason for wanting to be Hastings MP is “I wanted to be within two hours of London and I could see we were going to win it.” because let us not forget that she was not born in Hastings she was ‘Brought up between a townhouse in Kensington and a country mansion in Wiltshire’ (Financial Times)
Maybe you want an MP that is in the top 10 expense claims?Having ‘billed the taxpayer £173,367.16 over the 2014-15 period’ (Rye & Battle Observer)
Or maybe you enjoy the scandal of her being one of the 30 MP’s investigated for election fraud in 2015?
Maybe you just don’t like foxes? As she wants to bring back fox hunting (An issue close to the heart of all Hastings people) (fox hunting)
I know I know, it is none of the above. The reason the people of Hastings want Amber Rudd is her voting record. In Parliament she votes for the people of Hastings.
- Always voted against restrictions on fees charged to tenants by letting agents.
- Consistently voted against raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices.
- Almost always voted against a banker’s bonus tax.
- 23 times voted for reducing the rate of corporation tax.
- Consistently voted for selling England’s state owned forests.
- Consistently voted against an annual tax on the value of expensive homes.
- Always voted for reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms.
- Almost always voted for increasing the rate of VAT.
- Generally voted for restricting the scope of legal aid.
- Generally voted against measures to prevent climate change.
That is the highlights, see all that she voted for here
Looking at how she votes I’m surprised she has even been to Hastings.
I will leave you with my favourite quote of hers from the Finacial Times interview. It is important that you know that I have completely taken this out of context but I needed to end on a laugh as this Blog depressed me.
“When it comes to a general election, I really don’t think they’ll still be thinking about anal sex,” says Rudd a little later as she poses for photos in her constituency office.